Retr"O"
People say I'm stuck in the '80s given my love for retro music. Last weekend the Canadian Champs were held on an area called Terra Nova. The area had not been used since 1988 (the day after Ben Johnson won Gold in the 100m and the day before he lost said gold medal). There has been much discussion about the map quality of the new Terra Nova map (see above). So I thought it would neat to compare with the retro map below with the 2006 middle distance map plotted on top. I prefer the new map but it still (as one of my friends called it) "So 80's".
Interestingly #13 this year was the same as my #1 in the 80's.
2 Comments:
Interesting! I've got way less experience with O maps, but I find the new map less helpful than the old map. I'm not sure how much of that is the printing process used. To me, it looks like the new one has rounded, cartoonish contour lines, and the old one seemed to represent reality better , even though it was missing the odd little depression or hilltop that has since been added.
It seems to vary in certain areas. The different printing process could be a lot of the reason for the differences. The terrain is very similar to the west end of the Dundas Valley. The big difference between the old and new maps there is the addition of form lines. Maybe I'll add that soon as an example as well.
Post a Comment
<< Home